The Bullocks

The Bullocks

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Calling

I am thankful that God has shown me what He has called me to do with my life - at least for this stage of my life. Being a wife and stay-at-home mother is definitely my calling, even if I feel inadequate and overwhelmed most days. I know without a doubt that this is what God has called me to do.

While my kids are growing up, I am going to be there for them for everything they do and say. I am investing my life in trying to teach them how to be the best that they can be, and to have a heart for God. I am also allowed the time to invest in my marriage. Although the kids can wear me out a lot, I am not also worn out by another full-time job that depletes me of all that I have left to give. I can save some energy and attention for my husband for when he gets home from work.

Now, ideally this would happen like June Cleaver, who is still perfectly groomed, energetic and positive at the end of every day. But in reality, this is not the case. But God has allowed Jeremy and I the means for me to be able to stay at home, which can allow me the time and energy I need to focus on our home - my husband and children - and prepare myself to greet my husband in a loving way and do my best to give him the attention that he needs and wants.

I thank God daily for this gift. It really is a gift, even if there are days I'd like to give it back. :) But I am really not ungrateful for this gift. I treasure it. And I thank God that I know I am doing what He wants me to do with my life.

Honestly, I've wanted to be a wife and mommy since I was a little girl. This was my goal. I do not see this as a lack of ambition, as some may see it. I do have a degree in accounting, which I have used, and may end up using again...we'll see. But, God's calling has been clear to me, and I am thankful for the opportunity to make it possible. God has provided the way for it to happen.

There was a brief time when I thought it was not going to work out just like I wanted it to. After Tyler was born, I actually put him in a daycare and went to work. On paper, we didn't think it would work for my income to be totally wiped out. So, I went back to work, a crying mess. My employers were very gracious and understanding. My boss's boss, the CFO of the company, suggested that I take 1/2 days that first week back. What a blessing that turned out to be, in many ways.

Long story short...one of those afternoons that I got off at lunch time, I went to pick up Tyler and went out to run a few errands. I stopped by my former employers' office to show off my new baby. While I was there, they asked about my work situation, and I told them honestly that I was working again, but didn't want to. I really wanted to be home with my baby, and that if I could find something I could do from home, that desire would be possible.

Well, the following week they called me and asked if I would be interested in doing their accounting work again, just as I had done before. Only this time, they have it set up where I can do it from my home! Can you believe this? Only God could have worked this out!!! I was amazed, but at the same time, I knew how much I had prayed, and how much my family and friends were praying for me. This was God at work.

Of course I told them I'd have to discuss it with Jeremy, just to be sure it would work out, but..."YES! I'll do it!" So, Tyler only had to be in daycare for a month of his life. He was not scarred, although I think I was. :)

I was able to keep that part-time accounting job, working from my home, for about 3 years. That's when Tucker came along. And by this time, Tyler was no longer napping, and I now had 2 children to take care of. Finding time to do this work became increasingly difficult. But once again, God provided. Jeremy had been given raises and promotions at work through the years that made it possible for me to quit my part-time job and focus on my current employment. Although each time we weren't sure just how the finances would work out, God provided for us and we have been just fine.

I know that there will be different stages of my life that this situation will change. There will be more things that God wants me to do, and I pray that I will be open to hearing and doing His will. But for now, I have peace in knowing that I am where He wants me to be - a wife and mother in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment