The Bullocks

The Bullocks

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Growing Old with Jeremy

I know the title sounds like we're old already. Although some days, more frequently now, I feel like I am old already, I know we have a long way to go before we are old. We still have our children to keep us young, right? Or is it the children that cause us to feel old?

Whatever the case may be, I am loving and looking forward to growing old with Jeremy, my wonderfully loving husband! My devotion this morning was asking the question, "Is your spouse your best friend?" I already believe he is, obviously in a different capacity than my sisters or a couple of other close friends that I talk to. He is the one I go to for pretty much everything. I talk to him more than anyone else. I'd rather be with him than anyone else. And I rely on his advice and value his opinion more than anyone else, as long as he'll give it to me!

The author of today's devotion, Melanie Chitwood, said, "I want to grow old relishing my friendship with my husband, a friendship forged over years of sharing interests and making each other a priority." I honestly try to do this. Obviously with small children and their many pressing needs, this can be difficult at this stage in our life. But the time that we do have together is very special to me. She also suggests that if you do not have a hobby or interest of some sort that you both share and can do together, that you find one. If you don't, when you are old, you'll be like "the old couple sitting in a restaurant, eating their entire meal in silence." I don't want to have nothing to talk about with him once our children are grown and no longer our central focus.

Although sitting for an entire meal in silence may seem enticing right now, since there is barely a silent moment in the house with 2 little boys, I see her point. Jeremy and I both tend to be on the quiet side, which is why we have a hard time understanding how we have such talkative children (at least at home), and why there are a lot of times that we do sit in silence. The beauty of that is that it is not an awkward silence. There is no pressure to say something all the time. We enjoy the silence, and still enjoy each other's company. Yet there are things that we talk about and that we are both interested in too. But now I feel challenged to find something, an activity, that Jeremy and I could both enjoy that we could do on a consistent basis (besides watching TV!) that will help nourish our friendship.

Only time will tell if we are the old couple sitting in a restaurant without saying a word. I hope not!

2 comments:

  1. We, too, have talkative children. What gives? I think y'all should take up bungee jumping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Christy! Tim and I always comment on the older couple that doesn't say a word at dinner. Don't want that to be us, but some quiet might be nice!!!

    ReplyDelete