The Bullocks

The Bullocks

Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Weather" we like it or not

As I was thinking about what we would be doing today, I was thinking about the weather. It's too cold to be outside too much right now. That led my thinking to all of the status updates I've read lately of people complaining about the weather where they live (and I've done it too!).

This made me realize that we are never happy with the weather for more than a day or two, if that. It's always either too hot, too cold, too rainy, not enough rain, too much snow, no snow, too windy... There is always something we could find that does not particularly suit us that day.

Then I began thinking that God is in control of the weather. It is part of His handiwork, how He makes the world work with the seasons, life cycles of plants and animals, and all of what we need to survive. Yes, there are "natural disasters" that we do not understand, but we, as Christians, know that God is still in control.

This got me to thinking "how would I like it if I had to listen to people complain all the time about something I was in control of?" I'm pretty sure I would not like it at all. Now I know God is MUCH more patient and forgiving than I am (obviously), but I also know that it can't make Him happy to have to listen to us complain all the time.

These are my thoughts today...I'm going to try to complain less and just be thankful that God has given me another day to live and enjoy my life with my family and friends!

2 comments:

  1. I've thought about this, too. Oswald Chamber said that if we didn't go through the valleys, we wouldn't truly appreciate the mountaintops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right. There was a quote from Anne Bradstreet on my daily flip calendar that says, "If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant." SO true!

    ReplyDelete